Thursday, April 21, 2011

DB 6 Response

I agree with Melanie that this collection of photographs is important in showing that some people do not have as much as others and are less fortunate. It is a great depiction of those that do not have as great of a life as others. However, I do not think this is all we can gather from the collection.

These photos were all documenting the Great Depression, an era that defined how we live and how we look at jobs, money, and resources. It changed a lot about the way people lived and what they appreciated. I think there is more to it than just people who do not have as much as others.

To me, I got from it that it was an important link between our present and our past, to see how far we've come and what those before us went through. It is an easy way to teach all of us to appreciate what we have and to be grateful for all that we've gained over the years.

I also do not agree that the Migrant Mother is completely unhappy. She looks more pensive to me, more worried about her children, but not completely unhappy. She is stuck in a situation that any mother would be distraught to find themselves in - being unable to provide for her children. If anything, knowing that she did not want her state to be broadcasted to the entire country was enough to worry her and make her seem unhappy. She did these photos out of necessity, not out of desire. To me, she is fighting between the desire to keep their troubles secret and the knowledge that broadcasting those troubles would feed her children.

No comments:

Post a Comment